Brass Frit Tutorial
• Brass Frit
• Marver with brass spread out on it. I use my razor tool to move the brass around.
• Opaque glass.
• Clear glass.
• Razor tool.
Caution: Be careful when using brass frit. It is sharp and can cause injury.
Use Brass Frit only under a ventilation system.
Note: I used very little brass frit in these beads. Place the brass frit on your marver before starting your bead. Spread it very thin on the marver with your razor tool.
1. Make a tube bead of opaque glass and marver it into the length you want to your final bead to be.
2. Heat the surface of the glass until glowing and roll it in the brass frit. Then, marver the frit into the base glass.
3. Next, keep the bead below the flame and encase it in clear covering all the brass frit. I like a heavy encasement of clear because it adds a lot of depth to the bead.Do not place frit directly into the flame. It will spark and burn off the bead.
4. Heat the encased bead until glowing. You will see the gold bubbles form. Don’t heat your bead too long because it will bring bubbles to the surface of your bead. Once you start to see the bubbles form, pull the bead out of the flame. If you need more bubbles, reheat.
5. Finish decorating your bead and place it into the kiln.
Have fun and I would love to see what you create!